April 10, 2015

Spring Closet Reno

When we bought our house that we are currently living in, one of the (many) things I did NOT love about it was the closets.  I loved that it had two separate closets, but the space itself was not being utilized very well, and the closets in  the master bedroom are just small.  I have a lot of clothes, so figuring out what to do was a bit of a challenge.  So I just handed it over to my dad and let him decide.  This is a picture of what my closet looked like BEFORE my dad took over.

 
Okay so there's a lot going on here, but let me point out a few things: one, these wire racks were NOT working for me.  Clearly.  I mean, I had so many clothes on that little rack in the middle that it broke clean off the wall.  Then, there was absolutely NO space for shoes.  And just the design in general was not working at all for me.  Here are a few more examples of what the closet looked like:
 



Wow.  I mean, I'm not going to lie; this was a hot mess.  So my dad came over, and he listened to what I wanted (basically: SPACE for my clothes and shoes.  what else do you need from a closet??), and this is what he did:

 
 
Doesn't that picture make your heart sing?  No?  Well, it sure does mine!
 
 
Dad made this nifty little shoe holder and it works great for my shoes, workout clothes, and leggings on the bottom.  I also had this little metal stand that was previously in my bathroom that holds more sandals and heels.  I have a ton of sandals, and so for the time being I have them in a shoe holder tucked behind the door since they are a bit of an eye sore.
 
 
Most of these have two or three shoes tucked into them.  I do have a lot of shoes. 
 
I've had people ask me how I organize my spring and winter clothes.  Basically this is a look at how I organize them:
 


 
As you can see, I keep all of my pants out year round, because I tend to wear them year round.  I also keep out some of my long sleeve shirts that are bright colors, and all of my cardigans as long as they are light weight.  All heavy sweaters, sweater dresses, or just dark dresses in general are put away.  I then organize my closet by color coordination, each within its own category: i.e., all dresses are together from white to black, all cardigans, and pants, all short sleeve shirts, all tunics, all shorts, etc.  I think I put away approximately four large bins worth of clothes (along with boots and shoes that are only winter appropriate), and what I have left you see here!  So that's how I organize my spring closet!
 
Thankful for a dad who can make something out of a little of nothing!  I may still have a little closet, but at least it's a little ORGANIZED closet!  I love my little space!
 
Please feel free to share organizing tips if you have some!
Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. I would love to have a closet that size! Ours is just a small closet against the wall-can't walk in. Since my clothes are in that closet, my husband has to use the hall closet. I switch my clothes out for each season so I have to store the others in plastic storage boxes in the basement.

    ReplyDelete